October Updates – Sandeep

Today Sandeep gives us a rundown on his favorite classes, as well as the craziness of keeping up with the quarter system and hunting for internships.

At this point in the quarter, classes are going alright. I was fortunate enough to only have one round of midterms this quarter. After those were over, I was pretty happy that I could now just focus on regular school work. Of course, with the quarter system, it’s always easy to feel like you’re behind. This quarter especially, it has become very commonplace for me to fall behind because I’ve been out interviewing onsite at companies like Microsoft and Salesforce for the latter parts of the previous few weeks. It feels great to take a few days off school to go interview at companies, however, once you go back to school, those few days off come back to bite you :). I have been able to catch up since, and now, when I know I’ll be absent for these kinds of events, I try to get a head start on class material. 

I would say that my favorite teacher right now is Professor Yuanyuan. She teaches CS120: Operating Systems, which is my favorite class so far. The reason I like it so much is because the stuff you learn in that class is pretty mind blowing. Understanding how to write programs that play well with multiple threads and the underlying system on which you applications run can really make you a better programmer. Furthermore, it is a subject that is very applicable to my line of work in the future. Of the computer science classes that I’ve taken so far, this is the one that seems to be the most practical, and the professor presents all this complex material in a way that is approachable. For example, to explain why synchronization of threads is important, she did a demo with two students representing threads and candy representing a computing resource they are competing for. Haha, I just realized this sounds like a Cape Review, but anyways, that’s my favorite class and teacher this quarter.  

Taking a break from classes – Yahoo Diwali Party

Last weekend, me and a couple friends decided to wake up early on a Sunday morning (pretty crazy right?) to do some hiking at Black Mountain. It was a pretty nice experience; a great way to take a break from solving circuit problems and enjoy the great outdoors, post midterms week.

Weekend hike