Quarterly Projects and IEEE – AJ

In addition to Hamna, another one of our students, AJ, is very involved with IEEE’s UC San Diego branch.

During my freshman year of college I was introduced to IEEE, the largest engineering organization on campus. It was their projects and events that caught my interest. I was always really interested in hands-on project experience, and got involved so that I could help teach the necessary skills to other students who might have been too intimidated to start their projects by themselves.

My position at IEEE is the Quarterly Projects Chair. Quarterly Projects (or QP) are entry-level projects designed to get students to start building. While we aim to teach, it isn’t a class. We provide the challenge, materials, some starter guides and workshops, and I am also available for support and advice. We expect students to use resources available throughout campus and IEEE, to learn by doing, and apply their creativity to jump off and above the specifications we set for a competition at the end of the quarter.